Marian Wright Edelman Public Library of Marlboro County
Marlboro County has had a public library since 1901. A permanent display telling the history of the library from 1901 to 2010 is located on the main floor. Construction of this 20,000 square foot facility was completed in January of 2010 and the library opened to the public on February 22, 2010. Space is shared with Northeastern Technical College, with the library's portion covering 13,000 square feet. The building is named for children's advocate and founder of the Children's Defense Fund, Marian Wright Edelman, who is a native of Marlboro County. There is a permanent display case in the children's area with storyboards telling the story of Mrs. Edelman. Since opening, concentrated efforts have been made to focus on addressing the needs of Marlboro County citizens through programming, services, free Internet access, and one on one assistance in finding and using resources. Marlboro County's Public Library serves all citizens from all areas of the County. A 2015 Sprinter Bookmobile is also in service, focusing on visits to Adult centers, day-cares, PreK and Kindergarten classes in outlying areas of the county. There are five staff members and one director. The Marian Wright Edelman Public Library is a member of the Palmetto Consortium consisting of five other libraries in South Carolina that share resources and materials. These libraries are: Sumter, Dillon, Georgetown, Darlington, and Marion.
To view the library's calendar of events and other information, please visit the following link:
Virtual Tour - http://sky.easypano.com/virtual-tour/Marian-Wright-Edelman-Public-Library-Virtual-Tour-104461.html
Virtual Tour - http://sky.easypano.com/virtual-tour/Marlboro-County,-SC---Museum-Tour-104459.html