The Planning and Zoning Department has moved into the old sheriff department offices located in the Marlboro County Courthouse located at 105 Main Street, Bennettsville, SC. Located in the new office facility is: Planning & Zoning, Delinquent Tax Office, and the Tax Assessors Office. The telephone number for all offices are 479-5602.
Brad Leviner Building Codes Enforcement Officer Extension 13
Nikki Peele Building Permits/Mobile Home Registrations Extension 10
Lewis Cooper Environmental Control Extension 14
Dwayne Byers County Road Signs Extension 20
Marlboro County Building Codes Department
Non-residential construction encompasses many types of construction, buildings, etc. Some inspections may not be needed or applicable and some may be combined. Also, the building official may require other inspections as necessary.
Rough inspection of footing, foundation, framing, plumbing, mechanical, gas and electrical systems shall be made prior to covering or concealment, before fixtures or appliances are set or installed. Failure to do this may require expensive tearing out.
Permit must be posted on site!!!
1. Footings - inspections are to be made after the footings have been dug or basement areas have been excavated and after poles or piers are set and any required forms have been erected and reinforcing steel is in place and prior to the placing of concrete. The foundation inspection shall include excavations for thickened slabs intended to support of bearing walls, partitions, structural supports, or equipment. Placement of 12" or more of fill material requires a soil compaction report to be submitted to the building official.
2. Foundation/Floor - inspect foundation walls, piers and the rim (band) joists and the floor joists, tie-downs, etc., before sub flooring is installed.
3. Framing - inspection of framing construction shall be made after the roof, all framing, fire-stopping, draft-stopping and bracing are in place. Concrete & block walls require inspection of required reinforcement before filling with concrete.
4. Building Sewer Testing and Rough-in testing - building sewer and DWV systems are tested with no evidence of leakage. (Slab floors with plumbing underneath require testing to be done BEFORE pouring of slab.)
5. Electrical/Rough in - Electrical materials, components and equipment shall be approved. Rough-in wiring installation will be inspected.
7. Gas (if applicable).
8. Mechanical - heating/cooling, etc.
9. Final Inspection - A final inspection is required before the building can be occupied or put into use. Final inspection shall be made after the permitted work is complete and must be made before the building is occupied.
Note: If you have any questions concerning code interpretations, requirements, etc., please feel free to call (843) 479-5602 ext 13. The Building Official has the legal authority to require construction to be torn down if it has been covered up and can not be inspected or if it doesn't meet the building code requirements.
Call at least 24 hours in advance!!!